Braised fish with sauce
About Braised fish with sauce ( cá kho tộ )
Hundreds kinds of fish, hundreds of ways to cook always change. The changing depends on tastes and flavors of each area. Each kind of fish has 3 or 4 ways to braise; moreover, each area adjusts spices and flavors follow the eating custom in there.
Only braised fish is enough to prove eloquently that “eating job is also a meticulous job” and Vietnamese is gourmet in culinary arts.
- 1 kg snake-head fish
- 200 gr bacon
- Coconut juice
- Garlic, cooking oil, liquid caramel, broth mix, fish sauce
- Remove scabs, wash and clean, cut fish into pieces. Cut bacon into thin slices. You can braise the whole of fish or just cook fish body, use the fish head and tail to cook fish soup.
- Marinate fish with 2 teaspoons of liquid caramel, 2 teaspoons of broth mix and 1 spoon of fish sauce for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Remove garlic peel and grind. Heat pot with cooking oil (earthen pot is the best choice), fry garlic. When garlic becomes aromatic, take bacon into pot, stir regularly with high heat to reduce fat in bacon until bacon has burned edges and turn the heat off
- If you want to have a fatty braised fish, you don’t need to take fat out of pot. Put fish pieces into this pot one by one. You will have bacon at the bottom of the pot and fish above. Then pour fish marinade and turn the heat on. Pour coconut juice into this pot, use high heat and boil.
- When the fish pot is boiled, reduce heat, cook until the water in pot is nearly dry, add seasoning follow your favor and then heat continuously till the water is dry.
How to enjoy:
- You could also use anabas instead of snake-head fish.
- If you like spicy, you could slice chili and add them after turn the heat off.
Another Vietnamese Recipes
Maybe you're interested in